Reading time 3 minutes. Use our table of content for a quick read.
Last Updated on 12/03/2023 by STEPHANE
Who are the foreigners living in Spain in 2018?
Get all our useful animated videos and register to any of our YouTube Channel in your mother language:
What is the current population of Spain in 2018?
As of June 2017, 51.2m people live in Spain: 22.8m are Spanish men and 23.7m are Spanish women. Spain has 4.7m registered foreigners living in Spain as of January 2018. Let’s have a look at the different origins of the communities living in Spain: of course, we will find the usual suspects: Europe and Africa due to the long history they have with Spain and due to the proximity of those regions. Of course, South America is on the list as well as Spain share a long history and the language with many of those countries.
If you intend to live in Spain, remember you may need a Visa or if you want to buy a property, you will need a NIE number, even if you are European. Have a quick look at our articles on that:
- Golden Visa in Spain: Your ultimate guide to your Golden Visa!
- Your ultimate guide to your Spanish NIE number.
Who are the foreigners living in Spain, from which region of the world do they come?
- Europe 2.1m people
- European Union, 1.8m people
- Europe (outside Union) 0.3m people
- Africa, 1.1m people
- America, 1.2m people
- South America, 0.8m people
- Central America & Caribbean, 0.3m people
- North America, 0.1m people
- Asia, 0.4m people
Have a look at our infographic with the different regions of the world
Who are the Europeans living in Spain in 2018?
- Romania has the biggest community with 0.7m citizens
- England and Italy have 0.2m citizens each
- Bulgaria, Germany, Ukraine, France Portugal, Russia are the next countries with 0.1m citizens each
- Poland, Netherlands and Belgium follow
Who are the Africans living in Spain in 2018?
- Morocco has the biggest community with 0.8m citizens
- Senegal and Algeria follow with under 0.1m citizens each
- Nigeria has less than 0.05m citizens
Who are the Americans living in Spain in 2018?
- Colombia has the biggest community with 0.2m people
- Ecuador, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Paraguay, Honduras, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Peru follow with under 0.1m citizens each
- Cuba and the United States of America have less than 0.05m citizens
Who are the Asians and other nations living in Spain in 2018?
- China has the biggest community with 0.2m citizens
- Pakistan has a community of 0.1m citizens
Have a look at our infographic with the different nationalities living in Spain, close to 120 countries!
What are the top 5 Spanish Cities for real estate purchases by foreigners in 2018?
Remember our paper on what are the top 10 Spanish cities where foreigners buy property?
The top 5 Spanish Cities are (up to June 2017)
- Alicante with #18.847 transactions (23% of transactions by foreigners)
- Malaga with #10.761 transactions (13% of transactions by foreigners)
- Barcelona #7.332 transactions (9% of transactions by foreigners)
- Madrid #6.301 transactions (8% of transactions by foreigners)
- The Balears #5.910 transactions (7% of transactions by foreigners)
Apart from Alicante at the first place, all the other cities are in the top 5 for the airport ranking.
Foreigners love to work in Spain: remember our paper: What are the top Spanish cities for foreigners looking to work in Spain?
Have a look at our last papers related to the foreigners real estate transactions in Spain:
- What are the most loved Spanish regions for the foreigners’ properties: British, French, German,…? Check our ranking for the top 12 countries
- Who are the foreigners buying properties in Spain? Where do they buy? What price do they pay?
- How to buy a property in Spain as a foreigner?
Check our resources before booking your holidays in Spain
Find a lot of useful information, hours of sun per year, Unesco sites in Spain, transport network, and much more on our page “10 reasons why you should want to buy a property in Spain”
Find all our papers and infographics on the Spanish Costas with all the useful activities:
Before picking a city for your holidays, have a look at the monthly weather statistics on the top 20 Spanish Cities here:
Last but not least, read all our “Summer articles for enjoying all the nice places of Spain”