Reading time 3 minutes. Use our table of content for a quick read.
Last Updated on 17/07/2023 by STEPHANE
Motorways are becoming Toll-free in Spain
It looks like Spain is getting ahead of some countries and getting the control if its motorways.
Here are the motorways that just became toll-free in 2018 and 2019 in Spain:
- In 2018, the AP1 between Burgos and Armiñón became toll-free. This was the first one.
- End of 2019, two new motorways became toll-free:
- the AP-4 motorway between Seville and Cádiz
- the AP-7 motorway between the Tarragona, Valencia and Alicante
Check our updated Map of the toll-paying, toll-free (and soon to be toll-free) motorways of Spain
On 31 December 2019, the concession period for the AP-4, Seville-Cádiz and AP-7 motorways, on the Tarragona-Valencia-Alicante section, managed by the AUMAR concession company belonging to the Abertis group, ends, 48 years after the entry into service of the first of these, the AP-4. As of this date, both highways will revert to the State, and will be managed by the Ministry of Public Works, which will no longer collect tolls from users, following the example of the AP-1, whose concession ended on November 30, 2018.
These are two sections of the motorway from those built in the late 1960s and early 1970s. This stage was the beginning of motorway construction through public works concession contracts. In these contracts, the concessionaire had to design, build and maintain the motorway, taking charge of the financing, and in return obtained the right to operate it for a period of time, charging users a toll to recover the investment and cover the operating costs.
Here is our Google Map of the next motorways that will become toll-free in Spain:
What are the future “toll-free” motorways in Spain?
- Montmelo-La Jonquera AP-7 (E-15) will become toll free on the 31 August 2021
- Barcelona-Tarragona AP-7 (E-15) will become toll free on the 31 August 2021
- Montmeló-Papiol AP-7 (E-15) will become toll free on the 31 August 2021
- Zaragoza-Mediterráneo AP-2 (E-90) will become toll free on the 31 August 2021 (those 4 represents 475 km)
- Bilbao-Zaragoza AP-68 (E-804;E;805) will become toll free on the 11 November 2026 (it represents 295 km)
Are the Spanish motorways toll or toll-free in general?
- Spain road network has 26,402 km
- 12,017 km are high capacity roads, i.e., motorways, expressways and multi-lane roads.
- 1,191 km remain with a toll as of the 1st of January 2020
- So 90% of the motorway are FREE in Spain
How to take advantage of those new developments?
Why not invest in Valencia?
We think that this “toll-free” environment will be beneficial to Valencia and Castellon and the Valencian community economy in general as it will allow all the businesses in the region to move faster and decrease their costs.
- Have a look at the feedback of our real estate city trip to Valencia, April 2018.
- Our article on Valencia: Valencia, the third biggest city in Spain, is a centre of interest for foreigners
- Our article on the Costa de Valencia: Everything you ever wanted to know about the Costa de Valencia
- Check the monthly weather statistics for Valencia
- Check some of our experts in our local network in Valencia: Real estate Lawyers in Valencia, Property hunters in Valencia, Architects in Valencia, How to find a mortgage in Valencia all assisting you in your language
- Find your local experts in Valencia within our network, it’s free!
Read more on the Costa del Azahar: Everything you ever wanted to know about the Costa del Azahar
Read more on the Costa de Valencia: Everything you ever wanted to know about the Costa de Valencia
Need a car rental company in Spain for your next holidays?
Some more FAQ on the Spanish motorways
Are motorways in Spain free?
Motorways are 90% toll-free in Spain. Since 2018, Spain isn't renewing old concessions coming to end.
Is the AP 7 in Spain a toll road?
The AP 7 is a toll road but since the 1st of January, all its parts in the North and South of valencia are free. The part in the North of Barcelona will become free in 2021
Which roads are toll roads in Spain?
Some of the motorways in Spain are toll roads, some are toll-free. 90% of the Spanish road network is toll-free
What is the speed limit in Spain?
The speed limit on motorway in Spain is 120km/h.